Sunday, June 22, 2014

How to live abroad and work here.

This is a guest post by a leading actor's manager.

Melanie Kastner - The Career Strategist for Actors I Acting Expert
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
unfortunately her picture nor any others would duplicate. 

Visit her site above.


How Actors CAN work and live abroad
On June 21, 2014
Share the post "How Actors CAN work and live abroad"
After working and living in 3 different countries around the world, a lot of actors approach me and ask “how can I live and work abroad?”
My answer is always the same.
It depends. It depends on where do you want to go, how much of the world you want to see, and how long you want to stay?
Here’s how actors can work and live abroad:
Working Holiday: Go on Vacation and work it!
Who’s up for a “working vacation”? When I say working I don’t mean getting hired and paid. You can get into serious trouble working in another country without their permission.
When I say “working vacation” I mean going to another country and work it.
Why not meet up with agents and other industry professionals? You never know what could come out of it, especially if you are dancing with the idea of eventually moving their.
There is no harm in asking for advice and building yourself up to become great.
If you are in need of a quick fix, consider taking a master class or workshop during your next vacation.
A lot of reputable and internationally recognized professionals will run and teach workshops.
This may be just the right setting to expand your circle of friends in an intimate setting, feed your creativity, and have an unforgettable adventure.
Want to stay Longer stay:
If you’d desire to stay for a longer period of time perhaps look at enrolling or apply to an international acting program. There are so many great programs in the US, Canada, England, and Australia.
Just make sure you do your research to find a highly recognized acting program.
TIP: Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to apply to the program, audition, and go through the visa application process.
Road trip:
Audition and submit yourself for touring shows. A lot of tours travel through North America, Europe, and Asia.
Traveling shows can be anything from musicals, children shows, puppetry, movement, dance, cover bands, concerts, and so on.
I’d suggest looking for traveling shows of the past, then research the cast and investigate the casting companies or even agents. Then figure out how to submit yourself for an upcoming show.
Cruise ships:
All aboard! Cruise ships hire a lot of actors, dancers, and singers. Contracts vary and so do the routes.
What tickles your fancy? The Caribbean, the Mediterranean, Latin America, Australia, Hawaii, Scandinavia, or Alaska.
Contracts are only for a period of time and then can be home again or extend your contract. It’s up to you.
Just make sure you do your research on cruise lines, the routes, and ready employee reviews. Not all ships, directors, and cruise lines will have what you want. Do some homework.
Honey, I’m home!
If you are looking for a more permanent change then first start with an immigration lawyer. Often the first consultation is free but double check, different countries have different rules.
After a short encounter, I managed to inspire Noli Beke to live abroad. She is currently living in London.
An immigration lawyer will help you look at your visa options.
Don’t be afraid to shop around. The first lawyer you find might not be your first choice, plus not all lawyers are created equal.
Each country has different rules, regulations and requirements when it come to visas. Visas vary from country to country and paperwork as well as systems run differently. Don’t every expect it to be done fast and quickly.
Consider applying for work visas, visitor visas, artist visas, and student visas just to give you example.
Make sure you investigate what you need to do in order to fulfill the requirements.
The other thing that is important to realize is some visas must be renewed every year or every other year. If you want to be there for a long time just plan ahead for the next round of visa to save yourself the stress each year of being approved.
Apply for Citizenship
Were you, your parents, or grandparents born in another country? Look to see if you can apply for citizenship.
Sometimes there will be an age limit and/or a language requirement.
I would again advise you to contact a lawyer and see if you can apply. As a citizen there are often little or no restrictions but it can be a much longer process.
Also make sure you don’t have too many citizenship’s for the country you currently live in. Some countries only permit one unless under special permission while other countries have little restriction or limit the number of citizenship’s one person can possess.
Call to action
Tell me what country, or city is calling your name in the comments below.
I hope you are inspired now that you know how Actors Can work and live abroad.
Tempted? Then talk to an immigration lawyer.
If you are interested in the US, I personally recommend:
The Law Offices of Matthew S. Tadlock.
Office: 1 (281) 657-3319
Fax: 1 (281) 715-5014
If you dream of the UK, I hear great things about:
Rose Carey
Partner & Head of Immigration, London
Office: +44 (0)20 7427 6524
Fax:+44 (0)20 7427 6600
Top of Form

Bottom of Form


No comments:

Post a Comment