Saturday, December 12, 2009

Don't just sit there, do something

I have lost my temper with a couple of people recently because they keep telling me all the things that they do and are doing and are planning to do and yet they do nothing at all. These are the classic dreamers, the people who have no chance of ever becoming anything. They write to ask me how to get started,and when I tell them, they don't do it or they explain why they can't do it. That is the right path for failure all right. Someone who wants to be an actor, really wants it, is already acting in everything they can find to act in. Likewise, someone who really wants to be a writer is writing, not just dreaming about it. I have had a few advisees who have made the mistake of reading about acting instead of going out an acting. They will never be actors, because it is just something interesting to them. Those that succeed are reading a little about acting, but they are acting without anyone having to tell them to do it. So. You wanna be an actor? Then get acting, anywhere, school, church, community amateur theatre. Put on your own shows in your livingroom or basement or garage or whereever. Noone had to tell Heath Ledger to hop in his car at 16 and drive across Australia to become a movie actor. He knew he had to do it and he did it. So don't tell me what you are planning to do or thinking about doing. Just go do something and then tell me about that, Or if I send you my free book or tell you to read this blog, you will find lots of things that you need to do to become an actor. Go do some of them.

1 comment:

  1. Very true. I'm in the process of moving close to Miami, to get more experienced. I'm looking for work immediately when I move there.

    ReplyDelete